McMenon Engineering Services is a manufacturer and global distributor of flow and temperature measurement products for a number of industrial sectors. In addition, it has contracting fabrication and compliance & training divisions.
Today it’s a business going from strength to strength with a 70-year engineering heritage and a staff of 60 people. The Workington-based company’s primary aims are to inspire the team and ensure it delivers high quality products, services and best-fit solutions to clients. The business was acquired in early 2018 from global industrial technology corporation, ABB.
McMenon has an unrelenting commitment to quality and customer service. This has been a key factor in the company’s growth, with products now being exported to more than 50 countries.
We manufacture, supply and support temperature and flow solutions.
McMenon products include:
- Differential pressure flow meters
- Variable area flow meters
- Orifice plates
- Averaging pitot tubes
- Wedge meters
- Venturi meters (topside and subsea)
- Ultrasonic flowmeters
- Coriolis flow meters
- Pipe sensors (thermowell system)
- Surface mount sensors
- Multi-point sensors
Our engineering capabilities include the manufacture of engineered solutions to clients specifications in our machine shop and welding and fabrication facilities. The engineering capability and commitment to customer service is only possible due to the talent and expertise of the team at McMenon.
- More than 5,250 m2of floor space including a fully-equipped four-bay workshop area with assembly bay, machine shop, welding and fabrication areas, pressure testing and calibration labs.
- Equipment includes:
- Sub arc boom welding machines x 2
- Gas tungsten arc welding machines x 2
- Gas metal arc welding / flux cord arc welding machines x 5
- Twin-head gas metal arc welding machine
- A range of manipulators and rolls of various sizes
- CNC machining centres x 6
- Manual turning centres x 8
- Radial arm drills x 2
- Twin spindle deep-hole drilling machine
- Esprit CNC plasma cutter.
- A range of cranes across the workshop including 1-ton jib cranes servicing individual machining centres, overhead 2-ton, 3-ton and 5-ton cranes servicing the workshop areas.
- Certifications, accreditations and awards
- ISO 9001, 14001 18001 (45001)
- ISO 3834-2
- ATEX; IECEx; MCert
- 150 qualified welding procedures to ASME in carbon steel, stainless steels, duplex steels, nickel alloys, CrMo steels.
- McMenon is shortlisted at the 2019 in-Cumbria Business Awards (November 14) – Best Manufacturing; Businessperson of the Year (McMenon CEO Anand Puthran)
The services department provides maintenance support to businesses that require temperature and flow instruments as part of their operations.
Services include but are not limited to:
- Technical support on product requirements and specification
- Technical support on on-site installation
- Fault finding service and maintenance support
- A full performance analysis of instruments performance on our calibration rigs allowing maintenance activities and adjustments to be made
- Mechanical Inspection Services including NDT, pipe thickness checking, paint thickness checking.
Engineering case study
An example of McMenon’s world-class capabilities, knowledge and experience came when we were awarded a technically challenging project for a global client involving the design, machining and fabrication of flow metering pipe spools for metering streams made from Super Duplex.
After contract award, McMenon successfully qualified three new weld procedures, under demanding material constraints, for use on the project that would be in accordance to the Pressure Equipment Directive (2104/68/EU) and to measurement standard ISO 5167. The 16” metering stream had to be manufactured so that it could replace anexisting metering section, therefore matching the overall length of the existing installation was a key factor.
Through tight manufacturing controls and a commitment to the highest quality, McMenon was able to deliver the 16” metering spools on time with an assembled length of 9.6 meters (which included a total of 9 butt welds) to within a total tolerance of +/- 1mm, which far exceeded not onlythe expectationof the client but also gold-standard tolerance levels for projects of this magnitude.